- Smoked oysters – 1 tin – Sainsbury’s (tinned fish aisle) – £2.00
- 2 Garlic & Herbs Naan breads – LIDL – 49p
- Little lettuce gems – LIDL – 69p
- 3 tomatoes – Market – 15p
Total cost: £3.33 – 0.83 per person
- Remove the Naans form the package and place in the oven to heat up. Follow the instructions on the package.
- Rinse and quarter the tomatoes.
- Separate the lettuce gems and wash them on by one as they can be very very
sandy. Roughly cut the bigger leaves by hand in 2 or 3. Place them in a colander to release the water.
- Open the smoked oysters.
- Now that all is ready, in a big bowl, combine the lettuce, tomato and oysters.
- The oyster are slightly salty, but you might have to add a very little pinch of salt and pepper to it. Drizzle the oil from the smoked oysters on the salad and also the juice of a half lemon. The lemon is optional. The salad doesn’t really need it.
- Plate and serve.
Note: There is an even cheaper alternative to this starter. If you didn’t have £4 to spend. You could just use the tomatoes, smoked oysters & a drop or Mayonnaise or squirty salad sauce. Even simpler; pretty squares toasted bread, butter & Oysters. Done.
Shopping: the tomatoes were bought on Surrey street market where bowl of about 20 medium tomatoes can be found at £1.00.